The Davao City government is sending 5,000 food packs to families displaced by the eruption of the Taal Volcano.
The city through Task Force Davao is also accepting donations from Dabawenyos, who may want to help the displaced families.
Task Force Davao Commander Colonel Consolito Yecla, whose unit had been tasked to distribute the relief goods, said his troops are now preparing the food packs for the families, who are have settled in temporary shelters since Sunday.
People who want to donate may go to the headquarters of Task Force Davao at the Sta Ana Wharf Compound.
Yecla said his troops are targeting to reach the evacuation centers on January 17 or sooner, not discounting possible difficulty in transporting the goods to Batangas.
The targeted areas in Batangas are Sto. Tomas, Tanauan, and Calaca.
“While it may take days to reach its destination since the task group has to travel the winding roads of the three main islands and has to cross the seas twice, the Task Force Oplan “Tabang” organized by City Mayor Inday Sara Duterte hopes to ease the suffering of the evacuees,” he said.
Yecla lamented the difficult conditions of the displaced families, recalling the situation of the other victims of natural calamities in the Davao Region.
“That is the reason why at the first sign of the disaster, Mayor Inday (Sara Duterte) immediately organized and will send relief goods on behalf of the people of Davao.” CIO